PAP327 Particle Physics Phenomenology - Hiukkasfysiikan Fenomenologia
A 5 ECTS credit course (5 opintopisteen kurssi) spring 2018
Lectures Friday 13.15-15.00
Weeks 3-18 in room D115, Physicum
Exercise sessions Friday 15.15-16.00
In room D115, Physicum, starting week 6
Professor Kenneth Osterberg
Physicum, 3rd floor, room C327
Exercises Fredrik Oljemark
Physicum, 3rd floor, room B322
- Lecture notes available here (pdf) - main source
- Very useful backup material:
W. von Schlippe: Relativistic kinematics of Particle Interactions, St. Petersburg University
- A good comprehensive article on relativisitic kinematics.
A. Pich: The Standard Model of Electroweak Interactions
- A good comprehensive article on the Standard Model.
J. Iliopoulos: Introduction to the Standard Model of Electroweak Interactions
- A good introduction to the theoretical concepts of the Standard Model.
M. Thomson: Modern Particle Physics
- A good comprehensive book providing clear connection between theory and experiments
Particle Data Group Reviews on Kinematics, Standard Model, Hypothetical Particles and Astrophysics & Cosmology
- Good condensed summaries on special topics available on the web.
- Relativistic kinematics: special relativity, phase space, two-, three- and multi-particle final states and inclusive reactions.
- Recapitulation of the Standard Model: theoretical framework, principle of gauge invariance, quantum electrodynamics (QED) and chromodynamics (QCD), elektroweak unification and the Higgs mechanism.
- Beyond the Standard Model: basic principles of extensions of the Standard Model (Grand Unified Theories, supersymmetric and extra dimensional models).
- Hadron colliders: Deep inelastic scattering and hadron collider physics.
- LHC phenomenology.
Exercises gives at maximum 24 points (weight: 40 %),
Presentation of experiment and/or physics subject maximum 9 points (weight 15 %) - a must if you want your course credits
Oral exam at the end of the course gives at maximum 27 points (weight: 45 %).
Exercises will be given latest on Thursdays, notification by e-mail, to be returned following Thursday before 16.00.
Exercise papers available here (pdf/ps) or from box at Physicum's 2nd floor.
To be returned either to the locked box (rightmost row, 2nd from bottom) at Physicum's 2nd floor or by e-mail to fredrik.oljemark(at)helsinki.fi
Model answers here
Oral exam: to be fixed
Student presentation session: Friday 13.4 at 13.15 in D115!
First lecture on Friday 19.1 at 13.15 in D115!
No lecture on Friday 26.1 and Friday 23.2 !!
Extra lecture on Wednesday 28.3 at 13.15 in D115!
Send any comments or questions about this page to kenneth.osterberg(at)helsinki.fi