Academy Research Fellow of the Academy of Finland (2015-2020) at the
Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland (FIMM), University of Helsinki, Finland.
Assistant Professor of Statistical Genomics jointly at the
Department of Mathematics and Statistics and Faculty of Medicine,
University of Helsinki, Finland.
Title of Docent in Statistics at the
Faculty of Science, University of Helsinki, Finland.
Member of Centre of Excellence in Complex Disease Genetics 2018-2025
Research group pages at FIMM
Contact: matti.pirinen 'at' helsinki.fi
I work with statistical and population genetics.
Recently, in particular methodologies related to
- Genome-wide association studies (both common and rare variants; multivariate phenotypes)
- Modelling heterogeneity in effect sizes across populations/phenotypes/tissues etc.
- Population genetics in Finland and its application to studies of complex diseases and traits (and stamps!).
- High Dimensional Statistics, fall 2017, Master's programme in Mathematics and Statistics, University of Helsinki.
- Genome-wide association studies, fall 2015, Kumpula, University of Helsinki
- Tilastollinen päättely genominlaajuisissa
assosiaatioanalyyseissä, 17-Feb-2015, Kumpula, Univ. of Helsinki
- Workshop on re-sequencing and variation data analysis, 19-Sep-2014, Viikki, Univ. of Helsinki
- Genome-wide association studies, fall 2013, Kumpula, University of Helsinki
Master's theses supervised at University of Helsinki
- Ruotsalainen, Sanni, 2017, Univariate and multivariate statistical tests in genetic association studies
- Lääperi, Mitja, 2015, Linear mixed models for estimating heritability and testing genetic association in family data
- Sandoval Zarate, America, 2015, Discovering disease trajectories from the Finnish Hospital Discharge Register with the MCL algorithm
- Kerminen, Sini, 2015, Genetic population structure in Finland: an advantage of haplotype information over independent genetic markers
- Mathematics (Mathematical Logic) at the University of Helsinki (1999-2003).
Master's thesis in Finnish (PDF):
On the cardinality of the set of equivalence classes of analytic and coanalytic equivalence relations in Polish spaces.
Supervised by Jouko Väänänen.
- Statistics (Statistical Genetics) at the University of Helsinki (2004-2009).
PhD thesis (Summary part)
Bayesian inference for retrospective population genetics models using Markov chain
Monte Carlo methods.
Supervised by Elja Arjas , Dario Gasbarra and Mikko J Sillanpää.