- Act of the Scribe
- Ancient Greek Written Sources
- Concept Africa
- Cultures of Silence
- Dark Side of Humour
- Europe 1815-1914 (EReRe)
- Intellectual Heritage of the Ancient Near East
- New Native Leaderships in Amazonia
- Nordic Co-operation Revisited
- People and the Environment: Human Agency, Housing Constructions and Social and Ritual Space in Egypt 1550-1609 BC
- St. Petersburg - Helsinki
- The Governance of Transnational Islam
- Transforming the Future in Brazil: Ritual and Indigenous Agencies
The Department of World Cultures is part of the Faculty of Arts.
PO Box 59
00014 University of Helsinki
Unioninkatu 38 A
+358 (0)294 1911 (operator)
Research and postgraduate studies
The Department of World Cultures welcomes research projects in the following core areas. While some of our postgraduate theses are also directed toward these fields, doctoral students with other interests should not feel discouraged from getting in touch with us.
Core research areas:
- Cultural and linguistic diversity
- Intercultural interaction
- Conceptual studies
- Area and cultural studies
- Classical antiquity and classical philology
- Global history
- Comparative religion.
We have extensive expertise in all these fields, which enables co-operation across disciplinary and departmental borders.