The Master's Degree Programme in Translational Medicine
Coordinator Tiina Immonen
Programme and contents
phone +358 2941 25144
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS OPEN 1 DEC 2015 - 27 JAN 2016!
Translational medicine aims to facilitate new therapies and medical procedures by implementing the findings in basic research in patient care, and by applying clinical data in basic research. This requires understanding of both science and medicine.
The core of TRANSMED consists of medical sciences, up-to-date methodology, interdisciplinary communication skills and practical training in research groups. Clinical rounds with a specialist physician mentor at the Helsinki University Hospital will permit the students to directly encounter the practice of medicine, from the viewpoint of a physician and a patient.
In TRANSMED, students will learn to
- understand medical sciences and clinical practice from the point of view of a researcher
- utilize up-to-date research methodologies
- comprehend and respect the regulations and ethical aspects of biomedical and clinical research
- develop their ability for scientific reasoning and critical analysis of scientific literature
- communicate in English with both scientist and clinicians and master both scientific and medical terminology
After completion of their Master of Science degree in Translational Medicine the students are eligible and strongly encouraged to apply to the several PhD training programmes within the Faculty of Medicine.
We welcome dedicated applicants from various disciplines, including – but not limited to – natural or life sciences, engineering etc.