- Master's Degree Programmes
- Admission Criteria
- How to Apply? Step-by-Step
- Required Documents
- Language Requirements
- Selection Procedure
- Bachelor's Degree
- Postgraduate Studies
How to Apply? Step-by-Step
Application period for the academic year 2016-2017 starts on December 1, 2015 and closes on January 27, 2016!
Please note that application procedures have changed, all the information is now available at the web site of the university.The purpose of this page is to give an overview of the application process and give step-by-step information on the procedure to the Faculty of Social Sciences. The idea is to give an overview, not to answer all the question that might arise when applying. For general questions, please also take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
- First, get acquainted with the different programmes offered by the Faculty of Social Sciences. The Faculty offers currently eight English-medium Master's degree programmes. Please note, that other fields of the Faculty also arrange Studies leading to Master´s Degree. Also these studies are offered in English language, too.
- Secondly, familiarize yourself with the admission requirements of the Faculty in order to make sure that you are eligible to apply for the programmes of the Faculty of Social Sciences.
After you have decided the field you wish to apply to, please see the Admissions web site of the University of Helsinki.
You may apply for as many as three degree programmes at the University of Helsinki. If you apply for more than one programme of the Faculty of Social Sciences, please place the programmes in order of preference. Applicants may be admitted to only one of the programmes they have indicated. If an applicant is tentatively admitted to several subjects or programmes, the applicant will be admitted to the subject or programme which he or she has ranked the highest.
- Start gathering the required documents. Please note, that gathering the required material might take considerable time. All copies of obligatory enclosures must be legalised by the institution that has issued the original document or by a notary public. Please note that there are some country-specific requirements for legalizing your documents.
- At latest this stage, make sure that you have taken a required language test acceptable by the University and ask the arranging organisation to send the score directly at the University Admissions Finland.
- Make sure that you have all the required documents for each programme you apply to. You must submit fully documented application files (including a signed application form) for each of the programmes you apply to. If this is not the case, your application will not be considered. Further information can be found here.
Once applications have been processed, UAF will deliver them to the University’s Admissions Services, which then forwards them to the relevant faculty. The Faculty of Social Sciences accepts applications which comply with the following criteria:
- the application form must be submitted as required,
- the education documents specified by the Faculty must be submitted as required,
- the applicants’ previous education must qualify them to pursue education leading to a second-cycle degree, and
- the applicants’ language proficiency must meet the Faculty requirements. Further information on UAF procedures.
Applications meeting the above criteria of the University and the requirements of the Faculty will be submitted to the disciplines/programmes for further assessment. The boards of the Master's degree programmes / discipline coordinators will submit their admissions proposals to the Dean, who decides whether to grant applicants the right to complete a degree.
If all student places have been allocated in a subject or programme, the dicipline coordinator and board may place other applicants on a reserve list. If places become available, they will be allocated to students on the reserve list according to the ranking established by the subject or programme.
Further information on the admission results is available here in May.