Browsing - Lists
Browsing - Details
Export and Maps
NOW Field Archives
Notes on description of Species
Descriptive species information is recorded under the following categories: Diet, Locomotion, Size and Teeth. Most data fields in these categories follow the definitions described
in the ETE manual, and a good example taxon for this type of information is Hispanotherium
grimmi within the NOW database.
Additional instructions for a few categories are listed below:
- Diet 3: used as is, with the recommendation that except for hypothetical, well founded exceptions, the following
should be lumped: soft and hard with mixed; seeds, exudates and fr-se-res with fruit.
- Locomotion 2: use as is, except that semi-fossorial is suppressed (cannot in our opinion be recognised on morphological criteria).
We note that small (< 10 kg) "general quadrupeds" (gen_quad) correspond roughly to Peter Andrew's category "semi-arboreal" (small mammals lacking locomotory specialisations for
arboreal locomotion but equally able to walk in trees and on the ground).
- Locomotion 3: The value cursorial should be reserved for forms with joints restricted to movement in the anteroposterior plane. More agile
ungulates with more laterally mobile limbs should be classified as gen_quad (general quadruped). Remember that goats can climb trees! With increasing size, this category grades into
- Body Mass & Length: The ETE database allows any number to be entered as the taxon's mean body mass (in grams). The snout-vent length
classes of NOW are:
- Class 1 = very small (<0.1 m)
- Class 2 = small (0.1-1 m)
- Class 3 = medium (1-2 m)
- Class 4 = large (2-5 m)
- Class 5 = very large (>5 m)
- Tooth Height: use as is. In doubtful cases select the lower value.