Past news & activities
- Adj. Prof. Anna Kuparinen joins FEM starting from 1.1.2013 (20.12.2012).
- Sakari Kuikka gives talk in Bangok ASIMMOD conference on the 20th January on the topic:
"Experiences in developing risk analysis tools for oil spills in the Gulf of Finland – how to create learning systems to oil spill risk analysis?" (13.12.2012)
- Sakari Kuikka gives talk on: Fisheries management in EU and the related research – walking on a weak ice or finally on solid grounds? in Viikki on 13.12.2012 (13.12.2012)
- Sakari Kuikka gives talk in Phuket Costal Fisheries & Aquaculture Research & Development Center, on the 14.1.2013 on: "ECOKNOWS approach to learn more effectively in fisheries science". See the letter and program (13.12.2012).
- Jarno Vanhatalo was nominated into the 3 year post doctoral position of University of Helsinki for years 2013-2015 (26.11.2012).
- Riikka Venesjärvi participates to the international seminar "Decision Support Tools for Monitoring and Evaluating Spatially Managed Marine Areas in Europe" in November 19-20th in Bergen, Norway.
The seminar is arranged by the Institute of Marine Research.
- Riikka Venesjärvi gives a talk of the OILRISK outcomes in "Onshore preparedness and international cooperation workshop" in Stockholm, Sweden on 14.10.2012.
- Riikka Venesjärvi gives a Finnish talk called "Luontoarvot puntarissa – voidaanko esiintymätietoa hyödyntää merenkulun suunnittelussa?" in Vellamo Tietoherkku lecture series in Kotka, Finland on 14.10.2012.
- The BAYES consortium (FEM group and Bayesian statistic Group) was rewarded in the International evaluation of research and doctoral training at the University of Helsinki. BAYES was fourth in the panel of natural sciences and third in the Category 5 Societal impact. The MNCS indicator (describing the relative citation of group's publications) was 2.27, which was the ninth of all evaluated groups. The overall report can be found here and the group specific report here.
- Annukka Lehikoinen gives a speach with a title Probabilistic Risk Assessment and
Decision Support Tools for the Evaluation of Oil Transport in the Gulf of Finland, North-Eastern Baltic Sea
in 6th International Congress on Environmental Modelling
and Software (iEMSs) in Leipzig, Germany on 4.7.2012,.
- Annukka Lehikoinen gives a talk with title
Evaluation of the Traffic Increase in the Gulf of Finland During the Years 2007-2015 and the Effect of the
Increase on the Environment and Traffic Chain Activities in
Probabilistic Safety Assessment Conference (PSAM11) on 25.6.2012.
- Final seminar of IBAM project at Finnish Environmental Institute (SYKE) on 25.5.2012.
The keynote speaker of the IBAM seminar is
Dr Tony Smith. He is, together with Dr Keith Sainsbury, the winner of Kungsfenan - The Swedish Seafood Award prize, for their research to help consumers to make informative choices.
Check the full program here. Sign up to the seminar by contacting email@example.com.
- Jarno Vanhatalo gives a talk in Uncertainty in Computer
Models Conference 2012 with title "Probabilistic calibration of 3D-ecosystem model in Gulf of Finland" on 2.-4.7.2012.
- Päivi Haapasaari will defend her thesis on 4th of May 2012. Her subject is Addressing human-induced uncertainty in fisheries management - social scientific and interdisciplinary solutions using Bayesian belief networks. Read the whole thesis here.
- Jarno Vanhatalo gives a talk in Viikki Campus post doc days with title "Probabilistic Forecasting in Environmental Management" on 26.4.2012.
- Sakari Kuikka is invited keynote speaker with title Using policy impact predictions of integrated modelling in land and water management -
lessons learned in CIENS research seminar: Eutropia project, in Oslo, Norway.
- Samu Mäntyniemi will be one of the teachers in ICES training course: Introduction to Bayesian Inference in Fishery Science, 11-15 June 2012, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Jarno Vanhatalo gives speak in the Finnish Mathematics Days 2012 on "Recent solutions to computational challenges with Gaussian process models"
- Jarno Vanhatalo partisipates in the final conference and workshop of Intersik project in Umeå Sweden on 20-21.10.2011.
- Sakari Kuikka is one of the speakers in informational event "Four Corners to the Baltic" (Neljä kulmaa Itämereen). The theme of this fourth part of the seminar series is "Baltic and research". The focus group of the event is journalists and it takes place in SYKE on 3.10.2011.
- FEM group will move to a new building in the Viikki campus in the end of October 2011. The new visiting address will be Viikinkaari 2, 2nd floor. All other contact information will remain unchanged.
- Research coordinator Eveliina Klemola will be on leave of absence from October 7th 2011 onwards. Kirsi Hoviniemi will take over her duties.
- The kick-off meeting of the project MIMIC will be held in Helsinki September 5th-6th 2011. More information on the new project at http://www.merikotka.fi/mimic/
- Sakari Kuikka is one of the conveners of the Theme Session R "Integration of multidiscplinary knowledge in the Baltic Sea to support science-based management" in the ICES Annual Science Confererence, Gdansk 19th - 23rd September. Additionally, FEM-members Mika Rahikainen, Jarno Vanhatalo and Päivi Haapasaari have presentations in sessions G, M, & R. More information can be found here.
- Sakari Kuikka is one of the theme session conveners in MODSIM 2011, Perth, 12. - 16.12.2011. The session is titled "Multidisciplinary Risk Modelling in the Management of Ocean and Coastal Resources". The other session conveners are Rich Little and Olivier Thebaud (CSIRO, Australia). More information can be found here.
- FEM office in Kotka, together with the whole Kotka Maritime Research Centre, will move to a new office in Datariina, a centre of digital business, in the heart of the City of Kotka in July 2011.
- ECOKNOWS Main Meeting 2 in Copenhagen, Denmark May 23rd - 26th 2011
- FEM group participates in HENVI Science Days on Interdisciplinary Environmental Research and Teaching on April 7th - 8th 2011 with poster "Bayesian network - a flexible tool to integrate multidisciplinary knowledge".
- March 11. 2011, 8-9:30 am. Helsinki -insight coffee seminar with topic "Oil Risks in the Baltic area". Sakari Kuikka will be one of the speakers. More information and registration here.
- Jakfish-conference 8.-9.3.2011 in Brussels.
- Inari Helle will give a talk to oil combatting troops of WWF with the title "Effects of the oil in the nature" 1st of December at SYKE.
- Samu Mäntyniemi participated the Fishery Dependent Information
(FDI) Conference 2010, in Galway, Ireland, with the oral presentation:
"Participatory fisheries stock assessment using Bayesian model averaging".
- Poster presentation in the Fishery Dependent Information (FDI) Conference 2010, in Galway, Ireland. Päivi Haapasaari, Samu Mäntyniemi and Sakari Kuikka: Framing the problem with stakeholders: five views to herring fishery management.
- Logo design competition is over and the winner is Krista Mäkinen / Potra Girl Design / Helsinki. Congratulations!
- Project SAFGOF is organising its closing seminar Research for the Baltic on November 16th at Maritime Centre Vellamo in Kotka.
- Inari Helle will give a speach (in Finnish) titled "Oil spills in inland waters - need to worry?" at 60th anniversary seminar of The Finnish Limnological Society at Lammi on November 11th.
- Riikka Venesjärvi will give a speach (in Finnish) with title "History of the oil spills in Finnish marine areas after the second world war" on November 5th at community college in Helsinki.
- Sakari Kuikka is among invited speakers at Faculty's Octoberfest on October 7th.
- Samu Mäntyniemi is lecturing course Probability models and decision analysis during the fall term at Helsinki University.
- FEM is organizing an open logo design competition. The aim is to design a representative and up-to-date graphical emblem for the Fisheries and Environmental Management Group. The competition begins on September 2nd and ends October 31st 2010. See the competition call and rules (both only in Finnish).
- New FEM coordinated EU project ECOKNOWS has been granted funding! Kick off meeting takes place in Helsinki October 18th-20th.
- FEM members are participating in Climate Modelling School at SMHI, Norrköping, 13 October 2010.
- Samu Mäntyniemi is among invited speakers in Bonus+ workshop Uncertainties of scenario simulations, SMHI, Norrköping, Sweden 14 October 2010.
- ICES ASC 2010 this year in Nantes, France, between 20 and 24 September. FEM contributed with four presentations: Helle et al., Kuikka et al., Lehikoinen et al. and Pulkkinen et al. .
- Annukka Lehikoinen participated in International Conference on Collision and Grounding of Ships on June 14th - 16th 2010 Espoo, Finland. Her presentation was titled: SAFGOF a cross-disciplinary modeling approach to minimizing the ecological risks of maritime oil transportation in the Gulf of Finland. Download here.