The Fisheries and Environmental Management Group (FEM) focuses on the interaction between ecosystems and human society. Our research interests are
- Decision analysis of renewable resources and biodiversity
- Identification and quantification of risks in the use of natural resources
- Integrating different sources of data and knowledge: Bayesian analysis
- Cross discplinary modelling of exploitation processes of natural resources in the face of risks and uncertainty in the information
The leader of the group is professor Sakari Kuikka. The group works at two locations, in Viikki campus in Helsinki and in Kotka Maritime Research Center in Kotka.
The FEM group co-operates with governmental research organizations such as FGFRI and SYKE, as well research groups and organizations such as the Environmental Geoinformatics Group, Helsinki University of Technology, Fisheries Economics in the Department of Economics and Management, and Kotka Maritime Research Centre.
- Riikka Venesjärvi gives a talk on "Marine spatial planning tool for the conservation of the most sensitive under-water areas in the Eastern Baltic Sea" in the international symposium of Marine Geological and Biological Habitat Mapping GEOHAB 2013 on May 7th. (30.4.2013).
- Anna Kuparinen receives the Academy Research Fellow funding from the Academy of Finland for 1.9.2013-31.8.2018. Public description of her project. (8.4.2013)
- Sakari Kuikka gives a talk on "The Role of Science in Creating Best Practices for
Oil Industry Activities: Modeling of Unseen Impacts" in Montana State University on April 9th. (2.4.2013)
- Sakari Kuikka gives a talk on "Experiences in applying Bayesian inference in oil spill and fisheries risk analysis: applications in ECOKNOWS project" in the Prince of Songkla University, Surat Thani Campus, on the 1st April, 2014. (2.4.2013)
- Sakari Kuikka gives talk on "Sophisticated models and algorithms for fisheries management and risk analysis, the
methodological approaches of the ECOKNOWS project (FP7" in JRC Italy on March 26th. (22.3.2013)
- The article by Pukk et al. (Evol Appl) about the local population collapses due to overfishing was featured in both
Finnish and Estonian news: YLE,
Turku University news,
and Aamuset (5.3.2013)
- The online publication of Audzijonyte et al. ecosystem study gained a lot of attention in national and international press: ABC PM, ABC science, dradio, vihreälanka, verkkouutiset, Etelä-Saimaa. (1.2.2013)
- OILRISK final seminar will be organized on 7th of February 2013 at Hanasaari Cultural Centre, auditorium Astrid. Registration by 30th of January via e-mail to merikotka (at) merikotka.fi. (25.1.2013)
- Anna Kuparinen gives a seminar at the Biological and Environmental Sciences Department of the University of Jyväskylä on 24.1.2013. (9.1.2013)
- Sakari Kuikka is nominated into the council of societal interactions (yhteiskunnallisen vuorovaikutuksen neuvosto) of University of Helsinki (9.1.2013)
Past news and activities are here.
- We are now looking for a Master's thesis worker with fixed term contract to work in Multidom-project. Check details here (in Finnish).