The Fisheries and Environmental Management Group (FEM) focuses on the interaction between ecosystems and human society. Our research interests are
- Decision analysis of renewable resources and biodiversity
- Identification and quantification of risks in the use of natural resources
- Integrating different sources of data and knowledge: Bayesian analysis
- Cross discplinary modelling of exploitation processes of natural resources in the face of risks and uncertainty in the information
The leader of the group is professor Sakari Kuikka. The group works at two locations, in Viikki campus in Helsinki and in Kotka Maritime Research Center in Kotka.
The FEM group co-operates with governmental research organizations such as FGFRI and SYKE, as well research groups and organizations such as the Environmental Geoinformatics Group, Helsinki University of Technology, Fisheries Economics in the Department of Economics and Management, and Kotka Maritime Research Centre.
- ICES risk group for marine activities has been established (STT) (21.1.2015)
- Jarno Vanhatalo received the 3-year reseach grant of University of Helsinki (5.1.2015)
- The latest article by Jarno Vanhatalo was featured in Yle,
Helsingin Sanomat and in Radio Suomi (18.12.2014)
- FEM and BSG groups organized the a href="">Bio-Bayes seminar (18.12.2014)
- Anna Kuparinen has been appointed as an associate editor of the Journal of Animal Ecology (27.10.2014)
- Jarno Vanhatalo will give a talk on grey seal by-catch in the HELCOM Seal Expert Group in October 22nd (20.10.2014)
- The latest article by Anna Kuparinen was featured in Helsingin Sanomat and
as well as faculty news (20.10.2014)
- Maisa Nevalainen will give a talk at the VINOIL seminar in Aalto University on 31st Nov (10.10.2014)
- Anna Kuparinen will give a talk at the University of Arizona (USA) on 10th Nov (8.10.2014)
- Annukka Lehikoinen defended her thesis: "Bayesian Network applications for environmental risk assessment" 5.9.2014 (12.9.2014)
- Dunja Jusufovski has received a CIMO Fellowship grant for nine months. (19.6.2014)
- Anna Kuparinen has been appointed as Adjunct of the Faculty of Graduate Studies in the Department of Biology, Dalhousie University, Canada. (5.6.2014)
Past news and activities are here.