|History and Tasks
|Back to Main Index|
|The Delegation of the Finnish Academies of Science
and Letters is a joint organ of The Finnish Society of Science and Letters,
founded in 1838 (the Society), The Finnish Academy of Science and Letters,
founded in 1908 (the Academy), The Finnish Academy of Technology, founded
in 1957 and The Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences in Finland, founded
At the time these organizations were founded and for decades afterwards, the language of the Society was Swedish, while the Academy was Finnish-speaking. This historic past is still reflected in the activities of the Society and the Academy, even though both are officially bilingual today.
The Academy and the Society cover all disciplines of science and the humanities. Their main aim is to promote research and to facilitate contacts between scholars from different fields of higher learning. The academies arrange meetings, seminars and symposia, publish scientific series and monographs, and award prizes and research grants.
The Finnish Academy of Technology and The Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences in Finland in cooperation with The Finnish Foundation of Technology founded in 1994 an association called Teknillistieteelliset akatemiat - De tekniskvetenskapliga akademierna (in Finnish and Swedish respectively), which has even organizations as members. In addition to other forms of cooperation, this association represents its member academies in international contexts. It is then called the Finnish Academies of Technology (FACTE).
The Delegation of the Finnish Academies was founded in 1976 to promote the cooperation of its member academies and to represent them internationally.