High ethical principles are essential for the future of research and the internal development of science and its place in society. The University of Helsinki strictly adheres to the guidelines on Good scientific practice and procedures for handling misconduct and fraud in science drawn up by the National Advisory Board on Research Ethics (TENK). The University promotes research, education, and the dissemination of information concerning the ethics of science.
National expert organizations for science ethics in Finland
The ethical acceptability, reliability and credibility of the results of scientific research in Finland require research to comply with good scientific practice. The foremost expert organizations that deal with research ethics are:
- National Advisory Board on Research Ethics
- National Advisory Board on Health Care Ethics (ETENE)
- Cooperation Group for Laboratory Animal Sciences
- Finnish National Advisory Board on Biotechnology
- Board for Gene Technology
Legislation and guidelines on research ethics have been collated on the Academy of Finland website.