Viikinkaari 5E (P.O. Box 56)
FI-00014 University of Helsinki
Phone +358-(0)294 1911 (University)
Welcome to the Division of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology at the Faculty of Pharmacy!
The disciplines in our division are pharmaceutical chemistry (Professors Risto Kostiainen, Tapio Kotiaho and Jari Yli-Kauhaluoma), pharmaceutical technology (Professors Jouni Hirvonen, Clare Strachan and Jouko Yliruusi) and industrial pharmacy (Professor Anne Juppo). The division is responsible for research on pharmaceutical analytics, pharmaceutical microsciences and nanosciences, formulations and pharmaceutical chemistry at our University.
From the European viewpoint, our division is a strong and unique expert environment for drug discovery and development.
Our Finnish partners include other faculties at the University of Helsinki, the Institute of Biotechnology, the Neuroscience Centre, Aalto University, the University of Eastern Finland, the University of Turku, Åbo Akademi University, the VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland and the Finnish Medicines Agency (Fimea).
Our international partners include the University of Geneva, GlaxoSmithKline (the Tres Cantos research centre in Madrid), the University of Gothenburg, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Karolinska Institutet, the University of Copenhagen, the University of Ljubljana, the University of Lyon, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Uppsala University and the Pharmaceutical Solid State Research Cluster (PSSRC).
The Division in numbers:
- Over 100 employees, one third of them from abroad
- 75 scientific publications and patent applications per year
- 8–10 doctoral and 15 Master of Science in Pharmacy degrees per year
- 60% of funding from outside of the UH (the Academy of Finland, the Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation (Tekes) and the European Union)
- Two young researchers awarded by the European Research Council (ERC), Helder Santos and Tiina Sikanen, as well as one member of the University’s Teachers’ Academy awarded for her teaching merits, Katariina Vuorensola
- Four EU and IMI projects: GLORIA, GREASE, MAREX and ENABLE