Coordinator Anni Tonteri
Phone: +358-50-448 4434
Department of Biosciences
P.O. Box 65 (Viikinkaari 1)
00014 University of Helsinki
Biocenter 3, 5th floor, room 5601
Encountering problems with this site? Dead end links or outdated information? Use this form to send your comments to the coordinator.
You can download LUOVA's logo for posters and presentatios here.
Welcome to the website of LUOVA!
The Doctoral Programme in Wildlife Biology Research (Finnish acronym LUOVA) started in 1995 and was one of the first doctoral programmes founded in Finland. LUOVA is funded by the University of Helsinki and belongs to the Doctoral School in Environmental, Food and Biological Sciences (YEB).
LUOVA trains postgraduate students in the fields of ecology, evolutionary biology, conservation, and management of natural populations and communities, as well as in taxonomy and systematics, and in computational biology. LUOVA covers both basic and applied research in these fields. Member institutions in LUOVA are the University of Helsinki and the state-run research institutes within the field of the doctoral programme.
LUOVA organizes courses on different aspects of ecology, evolution, conservation, management and research methodology. The doctoral programme also offers its members various forms of support at different stages of their postgraduate studies, and a possibility to apply travel funding to attend courses abroad or collaborate on a PhD thesis chapter.
There are approximately 100 students in LUOVA each year and ca. 30% of them are international. Currently 9 students a hold full time PhD position funded by LUOVA. In 2014 eleven LUOVA students defended their doctoral theses. The employment rate of LUOVA graduates is very high.
You may apply LUOVA membership if you begin to work on a doctoral thesis related to any of the fields covered by LUOVA, and are not a member of any other doctoral programme. Currently our students are enrolled at the following departments but students from other departments may be accepted as well if LUOVA is the most suitable doctoral programme.
- Department of Biosciences
- Department of Environmental Sciences
- Department of Forest Sciences
- Department of Agricultural Sciences
- Department of Geosciences and Geography
For further information, please contact LUOVA's coordinator Anni Tonteri.
- The call for two funded PhD candidate positions for 2016-2019 will be open from September 1st to 30th.
- Minisymposium Ecology and genomics of insects – What can we learn from from social insects and butterflies? on September 10th
- The next deadline for travel funding applications is on October 7th at 15:45.
- LUOVA's 20th anniversary symposium Human-wildlife encounters – conflicts, threats and solutions on December 2nd
- Seminars and other events at Viikki campus
University of Helsinki
- Doctoral School in Environmental, Food and Biological Sciences
- Faculty of Biological and Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry
- Faculty of Science
- University library
- University sports services
- International staff services
- Career services