Lammi Biological Station is one of three research stations belonging to the Faculty of Biological and Environmental Sciences of the University of Helsinki. Together with Kilpisjärvi Biological Station in the North and Tvärminne Zoological Station on the West coast, LBS facilitates university courses and research projects in the biological and environmental sciences and other disciplines. The station has an especially strong history in ecological, evolutionary and environmental research. Located outside the Helsinki metropolitan area LBS has an important role in representing the university in the region.
Lammi Biological Station was founded in 1953 in the premises of the old Lammi vicarage. Teaching took place first in the old buildings until 1970 when the new main building and the accomodation facilities were built. Over the years the station has grown from a summer outpost to a large year round research facility. Today, LBA accomodates about 20 research projects and about 20 university courses every year.