Library Services for All
Welcome to the sources of scientific information! On this page you will see all the services available to all the library users at Helsinki University Library.
Helka Card and the Library Database
You can borrow books, renew loans and reserve printed material from the library. To do so, you need a Helka Library Card.
- A Helka Card is issued to a person who has reached the age of 15 and has a Finnish ID and a street address in Finland.
- Order Helka card in advance online. The card can be picked up within two working days from any library location at the University of Helsinki.
On the web you can search for information, update your contact details, renew loans and reserve material from the library's printed collections. This is done by logging in to the customer profile in the Helka database.
Services at the Library Locations
At all library locations you can
- copy or scan printed material. For this you need a Unigrafia copy card, which you can buy from the library's customer service.
- access a wireless network on your own portable device. Get a temporary user account (HUPnet) from the library's customer service.
- access the library's e-books and e-journals either from your own portable device or at a Library Terminal.
- Search the library collections in the Helka library database. You can also conduct searches in Helka at the Library Terminals.
- The references you find as well as information of articles or e-books can be saved by sending them to yourself via e-mail, saving them to your own flash drive or by printing them in the library. You need a Unigrafia copy card for printing.
- browse and read University of Helsinki theses and dissertations at the Library Terminals. The theses cannot be printed or saved to a flash drive.
Please note that it is not possible to obtain the temporary user account (HUPnet) or copy cards during the library’s self-service hours.
You can read the microfilms in the main library in the Kaisa House.
- Microfilms cannot be scanned or stored on a flash drive.
- Make a reservation for the microfilm reader on 3rd floor in customer service or email at library[at]helsinki.fi.