Services Borrow, Renew, Request
Borrow And Renew Loans
The loan periods at the Helsinki University Library are
- textbooks: the loan period may vary depending on library location and title, being either 14 or 28 days
- short term loans of textbooks: 2 days
- other than textbooks and parts of series: 28 days
- academic journals: 7 days.* Latest journals (current and previous year) can not be borrowed.
* Academic journals can only be borrowed from the Meilahti Campus Library. Main Library, Kumpula Campus Library and Viikki Campus Library do not borrow academic journals at all.
The loan periods for books may vary
Use the self service lending machines to check out books. Check the loan periods and availability from the Helka database.
Renew your loans before the due date in Helka by logging into your customer account. The Library does not guarantee that loans can always be successfully renewed, so please return or renew your loans before the due date. There is a 15 minute service break in Helka every night between 10 PM and 10:30 PM. There is an overdue fine for loans returned late.
A loan cannot be renewed if there are requests for the item or if your permission to borrow books is denied.
Loans may be renewed:
- textbooks 12 times
- other books and serial publications 50 times
- short-term loans of textbooks cannot be renewed
When the renewal limit is full the books must be returned to the library.
Suspension of borrowing rights
Your borrowing rights will be suspended in all the Helka libraries 14 days after the loan period has expired. The borrowing rights will also be suspended if you have unpaid fines totaling 15 euros or more. When you are suspended you cannot borrow, renew or make requests. You will be unable to borrow books in all the Helka libraries until you have returned the material and paid the fines. The longer you wait, the larger the fine will be. Remember that you can always ask the customer service for advice if you do not know what to do. In urgent cases, please call +358 2941 23920.