How to apply for earnings-related unemployment benefit?

If you become unemployed, please see the leaflet of the Teacher's Unemployment Fund “If you become unemployed” (in Finnish).

When you become unemployed, there are several things to take into account:

  • Register as a job seeker at your local Employment and Economic Development Office (TE-toimisto) immediately after you finish work or when your temporary lay-off begins. Please note that you must keep your job seeker status updated according to the instructions given by the TE office. A job seeker must take up employment potentially offered by the office if it fits the expertise and capacities of the job seeker.  Turning down an offer of employment might lead to period of no benefits.
  • Apply for earnings-related benefit from the Teachers’ Unemployment Fund. The application must be submitted at the latest by three (3) months from the day you want the benefit to begin from. Please see more details on the website of the Teachers’ Unemployment Fund or the Federation of Unemployment Funds,
  • Inform your unemployment fund of all factors affecting your benefit immediately
  • Remember to pay your membership fee to the union. A gap of more than 30 days will discontinue your right to a benefit from the fund. By paying your membership fee you will also be entitled to all the membership benefits offered by the union.