What is earnings-related benefit?

Unemployment benefits are paid from two different systems: either a basic allowance from the Social Insurance Institution (Kela) or an earnings-related allowance from a professional unemployment fund. 
Unemployment benefits are paid to unemployed persons who have been in a salaried position and to laid off employees. In order to receive earnings-related benefit one must a member of an unemployment fund. In addition, s/he must fulfil the conditions of membership and duration of employment.

Salaried HUART members belong to the Teachers’ Unemployment Fund. Please see more information on the conditions concerning membership and employment at their website (only in Finnish) or on the the website of the Federation of Unemployment Funds