Hyytiälä Forestry Field Station
puh. +358 2941 20751
History in short
1910: Finnish Government assigned the state-own forests around Hyytiälä as a practice area for forestry students, and the first students came to Hyytiälä. Accommodation was arranged in nearby houses, e.g. Kallenautio Inn
1911-12: buildings of the old courtyard completed
1935: the planting of memorial spruce stand to celebrate the 25th anniversary
1948: the station was connected to the electric network
1959: Institute-building with auditorium, laboratories and offices was completed
1977: year-round use of Hyytiälä was enabled as the buildings A, B and C together with machinery halls were completed
1995: SMEAR II-station was completed
2010: the station joined the new Department of Forest Sciences
Progress of teaching and research at Hyytiälä
During the first decades, forestry teaching at Hyytiälä used to contain a lot of practical and often heavy field work such as digging ditches. The number of female students was low until 1980s, nowadays it is close to half.
The research activities intensified after the Institute-building was ready. In 1960s and 1970s, several PhD works were already conducted at Hyytiälä, and the number of research projects has increased ever since.
Additional information for
(some in Finnish only)