Studies - New students
Welcome to the Faculty of Arts!
This web page is dedicated to new international students of the Faculty of Arts. We've collected information and links that will help you get started with your studies.
If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact the Faculty's Student Affairs
New Master's Programme and MA degree students
- the Faculty Orientation for new international MA students on Wednesday 28th August 2013 at 4.00 pm in the
Main building Auditorium XIV, Unioninkatu 34. At the Faculty Orientation you will get practical information about studying at the Faculty.
- First meeting with your student tutor on Wednesday 28th August 2013 at 5 pm (after the faculty orientation session).
Main building (old side), Auditorium XIV, Fabianinkatu 33.
- the meeting for the degree students of the Faculty of Arts, organized by the University of Helsinki International Services, during the Welcome Fair on 29th or 30th August 2013. Exact time and place to be announced later. Especially if you have not lived in Finland before and want to get information on practical matters, we recommend that you participate in this meeting.
New exchange students and visiting students
- The Orientation Course of the University of Helsinki for international exchange and visiting students will be held on 29th and 30th August, 2013. Especially if you haven't lived in Finland before and you want to get information on practical matters, it is absolutely essential that you join the course. It will offer you a lot of practical information about studying and living in Finland.
- first meeting with your tutor on Thursday 29 August 2013 at 10 am. Venue: Porthania building (Yliopistonkatu 3) room PIII.
- Welcome Fair Info Sessions on practical matters for Faculty of Arts exchange and visiting students (organized by the University of Helsinki International Services) will be held on Thursday 29th August - exact time and place tba. University of Helsinki's Welcome Fair takes place on August 29–30, 2013. To avoid long queues we recommend that you visit the Welcome Fair as scheduled in the Faculty of Arts Orientation programme.
- The Faculty Orientation for exchange and visiting students will be held on Friday 30th August, 2013 at 12.00 - 13.00. Venue: University Main building (Fabianinkatu 33) room 13.
- For details on times and places, see the whole Orientation Course programme.
Tutoring. On the first day of the orientation course both degree, exchange and visiting students will meet their tutor who is a peer student at the Faculty.
Studying at the Faculty of Arts
Degrees. The Bachelor of Arts degree consists of 180 credits (equals to 180 ECTS), and it takes approximately three years to complete it. The Master of Arts degree consists of 120 credits (equals to 120 ECTS), and the studies take approximately two years.
Etappi – checkpoint system for study progress. Etappi is a system of monitoring of studies. With the help of study progress checkpoints the Faculty of Arts aims to support smooth study progress and, consequently, the completion of degrees. Read more
Grading. The University of Helsinki applies a six-level grading scale of 0–5. Read more
Hops – personal study plan. To facilitate the long-term planning of studies, each degree student is required to draw up a personal study plan. The study plan is checked regularly, and will therefore help in the monitoring of study progress. Read more
Modes of Study. The Finnish university education system differs from many other higher education systems in its organisation. At the University of Helsinki, it is possible to accumulate credits in a number of different ways. Students may earn credits by attending lectures, taking part in seminars, taking examinations based on the course syllabus as independent study or writing essays as agreed with the teacher. Read more.
Study guidance is offered both by the departments and the Faculty's Student Services. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have questions about studying at the University of Helsinki and the Faculty of Arts!