Postgraduate Studies - Applying for Postgraduate Studies
The spring application round for 2014 has ended. Applicants will be informed of the decisions in the beginning of June.
Next round of applications will be held on 23.9.-15.10.2014. Please note that due to the ongoing reform of doctoral education at the University of Helsinki, the instructions for applying given on this site are subject to change. Please come back and check the up-to-date instructions in the beginning of the application period.
If the applicant wishes to be considered during a particular round, he/she must submit the application on time, complete with all the required documentation.
The Committee for Postgraduate Studies will meet to discuss the applications. All applicants will receive the decision by mail in the beginning of December.
The Faculty of Arts admits max 86 new post graduate students per year.
NB! Please, always follow the instructions and information on this website before each application round. Changes in, for example, selection criteria are possible.
The granted study right will be valid from the beginning of January.
Check the language requirements!!!
As the main objective of the doctoral student is a PhD degree, the applicant should make sure that qualified supervision for his/her particular research interests is available at the Faculty of Arts. The applicant must contact the relevant departments and discuss the research proposal, the study plan and arrangements for supervision. Preliminary discussions however, are not binding upon the faculty or its departments.
Postgraduate degrees available within the Faculty of Arts are Doctor of Philosophy (PhD, DPhil) and Licentiate of Philosophy (Lic. Phil.) However, all postgraduate students are admitted to a course leading to a Doctorate. Completing a Licentiate degree first (that is, a degree with a less substantial thesis than that required for a doctorate) is optional. Therefore, the objective of research and study plans submitted with the application should be designated as the PhD degree. Finnish, Swedish and English are the main course languages in the University of Helsinki.
Please note that the Faculty will not be able to process your application unless all requested documents listed below are received either in Finnish, Swedish, English, German, or French.
All applicants wishing to be considered must submit the following documents.
1. Electronic Application (open during the application period.) and as a part of the electronic application form points 2-4.
2. A research proposal (maximum length 9999 characters) in which the applicant should describe his/her proposed doctoral dissertation, how it would link up with existing research, the sources or materials and methods to be used, the applicant´s previous activity in the field and his/her personal qualifications for the task, such as previous studies and any relevant work experience. The applicant should also include a provisional outline of contents for the proposed doctoral dissertation. It should also be indicated whether the thesis would be a monograph or consist of published articles.
Please note that no full CV should be sent: all personal information relevant to the application must be included in the application form and the research proposal.
If the research proposal is presented in either German or French, a summary of it (about 1 page) in Finnish, Swedish or English must be attached.
3. A study plan (maximum length 4000 characters) which includes a provisional timetable (full- or part-time study) for the project and details of any other studies which the applicant wishes to include in his/her degree, in addition to the thesis. The applicant should also clarify how he/she intends to fund his/her studies in Helsinki.
Research skills (50 cr) consists of a seminar, theoretical and methodological studies (relevant research literature, methodology and the philosophy of science) as well as basic research skills studies (introduction, research ethics, language studies).
Other professional skills (10 cr) may include acquiring different kinds of skills to prepare for professional life, for instance through courses, projects or practical work in fields such as science communication, pedagogics, language education,
management and leadership, project management, administrative work, teaching and the popularisation of research.
Course catalogues can be found in WebOodi.
4. The title and summary of your Master´s thesis or equivalent, or a description of previous academic publications (maximum length 4000 characters).
Those who are not graduates of the University of Helsinki should include also (in addition to 1-4):
5. A copy of your previous degree certificate (Master's degree or equivalent). This copy must be officially certified (legalised), i.e. it must bear the stamp and signature of an official entitled to attest documents: an authorised official of the school or university that has granted the degree, a notary public, a commissioner of oaths etc. The University of Helsinki does not attest any documents or photocopies. A sworn/official translator must make all translations.
6. Language skills
Applicants must have sufficient skills in the languages needed for postgraduate studies. The language skills necessary for completing the doctoral dissertation and postgraduate studies in the major subject applied for will be assessed by the relevant discipline on the basis of the initial and other discussions with the applicant as well as the application documents. In their statements, the disciplines will indicate whether the applicants have sufficient skills in the languages needed for postgraduate studies. In the las resort the Committee for Postgraduate Studies will assess the language skills.
In addition to requiring sufficient language skills in the language of study, the Faculty of Arts also requires communication level language skills in Finnish, Swedish or English. Communication level language skills will be assessed according to the requirements for such language skills and methods for indicating language skills contained in the general guidelines issued by the Rector for student admissions at the University of Helsinki. When starting postgraduate studies, applicants must be able to communicate fluently in Finnish, Swedish or English. The Committee for Postgraduate Studies will assess the adequacy of the applicant’s communication level language skills from the language certificates submitted by the applicant. If the applicant has graduated from the University of Helsinki and the completed language courses are recorded in the Student Register, no separate certificates of language skills are required. Graduates of other universities must submit a separate certificate of their communication level language skills, if language skills are not specified in the degree diploma to be submitted as an enclosure to the application. Further information concerning acceptable language tests available here.
Those who are not graduates of universities within the EU should include also (in addition to 1-6):
7. A detailed transcript of your studies at your previous university. The transcript must be officially certified (legalised), i.e. it must bear the stamp and signature of an official entitled to attest documents: an authorised official of the school or university that has granted the transcript, a notary public, a commissioner of oaths etc. The University of Helsinki does not attest any documents or photocopies. A sworn/official translator must make all translations.
All applications should be sent to the Faculty Office by using the electronic application (NOT to individual departments or teachers). The required enclosures must be at the faculty by the application closing date. Faxed or emailed applications are not acceptable. Inadequate applications will not be considered!
The required enclosures can be sent to:
Faculty of Arts
Research and Postgraduate Affairs
00014 University of Helsinki
If sent via courier service, you can use the following address:
Faculty of Arts
Research and Postgraduate Affairs
Fabianinkatu 33, 2nd floor
staff at the Postgraduate Student Services