P.O. Box 65
00014 University of Helsinki
What is new in environmental research and teaching?
- Helsinki Sustainability Science Center – Open Discussion Session on 31st March at 13.15 -15.00- A summary of the discussion now avaliable!
- HENVI Science Day 2016 " Environmental vulnerabilities in the globalizing world - How to adapt and manage change? on Tue 10th May 2016. See the program and register to the event!
- Are you interested in Food and Circular economy?
A recently published article in Sustainability- journal (open access) is based on discussions in HENVI Science Day 2015. Read more here: http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/8/1/69
- What are the megatrends that effect our future?- seminar on 14th Jan at 9-12 in Sitra.
How will our lives change due to the need for ecological sustainability, intensifying globalisation and technological development? What are the perspectives now, in the near future and in 2052? Read more and register
Workshop on Arctic research in the Univeristy of Helsinki, 2nd December 2015 at 14.00-16.00.
The aim of the workshop is to discuss the future of Arctic research in the university: what should be done to increase the visibility and impact of UHEL Arctic research, what should be the goal of UHEL Arctic research, what are research gaps in UHEL Arctic research and how to fill them.
Read more and register by 26th Nov
UArctic Info Event for Students
24.11 at 11-12, lecture hall 1, C-house (Latokartanonkaari 5) Viikki. University of Helsinki is a member in the UArctic network. Come to hear more about our opportunities for students and find out how to participate.
- Get inspired about unique study opportunities in and about the North
- Learn more about Circumpolar studies & field courses
- Find out about opportunities for north2north student exchange. Read more
- HENVI Science Days 2015:Towards Circular Economy – Designing a Sustainable Food Cycle- Policy Brief available for download! The Policy Brief aims to summarise the main message of the presentations and roundtable discussions. Read more and download the Policy Brief both in English and Finnish.
- Arctic research in the University of Helsinki -report now available! The UH conducted the survey on Arctic research and related activities in the UH on October 2014. The result of the survey are presented in the report that can be downloaded here.
- You may still enrol for the DENVI seminar uantitative spatial analysis for urban and land use planning -from cities to species on 15 Apr and gain 1 ECTS credit by writing presentation summaries. Read more
- Master's Degree students to participate in HENVI Special course and Workshop on Circular Economy and Sustainable Food Systems ( 4 ECTS). We work in three interdisciplinary groups with themes in environmental policy and food, socio-cultural aspects and consumers, food waste and management. Student reports have been uploaded. Read reports
- Helsinki University Center for Environment is now calling applications for a SUSTAINABILITY SCIENCE FELLOW (Senior Researcher). The sustainability science fellowship is established to reinforce the competence of the UH to better answer the grand challenges of today: climate change, deterioration of biodiversity, urbanization, just to name a few. Answers to these complex problems are not found in narrow approaches, but via integrated thinking and interdisciplinary frameworks that are needed for innovative solutions. Apply and read more.
- HENVI Science Day 2015: Towards Circular Economy – Designing a Closed Food Cycle. The aim of the day is to approach the concept of circular economy, apply it onto the sustainable food production and discuss future trends and challenges from the interdisciplinary perspective. The event targets researchers, students, policy-makers and representatives from the private sector. Science Day will take place on 21st April, 2015 in Helsinki, Minerva-Tori. See the program and register!
- New HENVI research programs 2015 annouced! Starting from 2015 two new HENVI research program will be investigating environmental vulnerability, social resilience and multi-scale governance as well as potential of continuous cover forestry for climate change mitigation, wood pro-duction and biodiversity protection. Read more
- Students are welcome to participate in DENVI seminar 26 Nov and gain 1 cr. by writing summaries. Read more
- DENVI Seminar 26th Nov: Urban Sustainability - Climate Change and Ecosystem Services, with the keynote speech by Dr. David C. Major from the Columbia University, NY, following with DENVI students presentations.. Read more
- FINAL SEMINAR 20th Nov: Interdisciplinary Environmental Research on Urban environment, Forest-Climate Interactions and Baltic Sea – Challenges and Solutions. HENVI research programs (2011-2014) present final results and findings based on interdisciplinary collaboration!. Read more
- Open keynote lectures: Solving environmental problems by applying new socio-ecological approaches - keynote lectures on transition theory, political ecology, resilience, and ecosystem services!! ! Read more
- Call for Interdisciplinary Environmental Research Programs! Call closed on August 28th. Read more
- HENVI Science Days 2014: Past and Future Challenges in the Baltic Sea:
Policy Brief available for download!
- News archive >>