How to Apply for the Right to Pursue a Doctoral Degree
The right to pursue a doctoral degree at the University of Helsinki is applied from and granted by a faculty. Through the process listed below the applicant can receive the University of Helsinki doctoral candidate status and become affiliated with DSHealth, one of its doctoral programme and a participating faculty. The call schedules are available here ».
Overview and responsibilities for the application process for the right to pursue a doctoral degree at the University of Helsinki:
- Selects the doctoral programme of interest
- Selects the faculty amongst those participating in the doctoral programme (see Table 1 at www.helsinki.fi/health/how_to_apply.html)
- Writes and submits the application to the faculty according to the faculty’s instructions (see links to faculties’ instructions below)
2. FACULTY ADMINISTRATION
- Checks the formal criteria of the application
- Submits the application to the doctoral programme for evaluation
3. DOCTORAL PROGRAMME
- Evaluates the quality and relevancy of the application
- Proposes to the faculty the acceptance or rejection of the application
4. FACULTY ADMINISTRATION
- Based on the doctoral programme’s assessment statement, prepares the decision to grant or reject the right to pursue a doctoral degree
5. FACULTY DEAN
- Makes the formal decision to grant or reject the right to pursue a doctoral degree at the faculty
6. FACULTY ADMINISTRATION
- Informs the applicant and the doctoral programme of the Dean’s decision
- Implements the Dean’s decision
- Stores the application in the faculty’s archive
- Since all doctoral candidates at the University of Helsinki must be affiliated with one of the University’s doctoral programmes, the preferred doctoral programme for training is to be specified in the application.
- There may be some faculty-specific variation in the process (e.g. the number of calls organized per year); thus, before applying, check the application instructions at the faculty web page. General information on doctoral training at University of Helsinki is available at www.helsinki.fi/admissions/postgraduate_applicants.htm
- The call for the UH-funded doctoral training positions is organized annually by doctoral programmes. For the call schedules, please follow the programmes' web pages. Outlines of the application process for both the right to pursue a doctoral degree and the UH-funded doctoral candidate positions are available here ».