The Master's Degree Programme in Ethnic Relations,
Cultural Diversity and Integration (ERI)
- Studying at the Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty examinations
- ERI Lecture Pass
- Registration form for ERI studies
- Registration for graduation
The format of the study guide is changing. This page will no longer be updated. The new study guide with up-to-date course information for 2011-2012 will be available in WebOodi.
From the main page, go to course catalgoues/Faculty of Social Sciences/ERI.
DEGREE REQUIREMENTS 2008-2011
- Personal Study Plan 1 ECTS
- Research in Social Psychology, 12 ECTS:
SP 54 f Intergroup relationships, social identity and cultural psychology
(Choose chapters from the books included in the literature list (1500 pages in total) which are most relevant for your Master Thesis)
- SP58 Roots of Social Psychology , 6 ECTS
- Applications III of Social Psychology: 12 ECTS.
SP 55 c Social psychology of ethnic minorities and immigrants
SP 55 d Cultural encounters and acculturation
Please note that both 55 c & d must be taken all at once, i.e. it cannot be broken
down and taken in several examinations. The student may earn part of
the credits for this study unit by participating in relevant courses
offered by the department.
- SP 53 Methods in Social Psychology, 10 ECTS
- Introduction to research methods 3 ECTS
- Ethnographic fieldworkmethods
- Qualitative Methods. Workshop on methods of text, narrative, discourse and
rhetorical analysis 8 ECTS
- Qualitative methods: interview, focus group, grounded theory, interpretative phenomenological analysis 5ECTS
- Quantitative methods 8 ECTS + Introduction 2 ECTS
- Identity and Culture. A Narrative and Holistic Approach. 5 ECTS
- Literature examination 4 ECTS
Thematic courses amounting to 37 ECTS, of which 16 ECTS can be selected freely.
For those students who have earned 8 ECTS from the course Politics of Diversity: 14 ECTS can be selected freely.
Please note that SP 55c & d (12 ECTS) are counted as part of the thematic studies for Social Pscyhologists.
List of courses
The following two thematic courses are obligatory for all ERI- students:
- The politics of diversity: societal challenges and institutional response
6 ECTS, Period I&II
- Minorities and Majorities 3 ECTS
Periods III &IV
NOTE: ERI students register to the course through module SP55 in WebOodi
- Thesis seminar 1, 6 ECTS: Period IV 2011 (1 year students)
- Thesis seminar 2, 6 ECTS: Period I 2010 ( 2nd year students)
- Master's Thesis 40 ECTS