The Erik Castrén Institute of International Law and Human Rights
P.O. BOX 4
FI-00014 UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI
Tel. +358 (0)9 191 23140
Fax +358 (0)9 191 23076
How to find us?
The Erik Castrén Institute of International Law and Human Rights (ECI) was established in 1998 within the Faculty of Law at the University of Helsinki as a centre for research and study. The Erik Castrén Institute of International Law and Human Rights was named after Professor Erik Castrén.
The aim of the Institute is to promote research on human rights and new approaches to public international law.
- Nov. 15 2013: The 2nd Erik Castrén Lecture on International Law, the Humanization of the Syrian Question: A Critique of International Legal / Institutional Responses, by Hani Sayed, attracted approx. 70 participants (Summary in Finnish)
- Nov. 15 2013: Mónica García-Salmones Rovira's research has been granted the award of Best Academic Dissertation in Law in 2012 by the Finnish Lawyers’ Association
- 1 Oct. 2013: Martti Koskenniemi listed among the "Higly Cited" University of Helsinki researchers
- 3 Sep. 2013: New website for Dr. Reetta Toivanen's Research project On "Glocal" governance: On the meanings and consequences of the "vernacularization" of Human Rights Concepts now available
- 1 Aug. 2013: Dr Jarna Petman has been elected as a Commissioner of the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) for a five-year term from July 2013 onwards. She is the first Finn to serve in this position.
- 6 June 2013: Two doctoral student positions open at ECI in a research project led by Jan Klabbers (deadline 5 August 2013)
- 8 May 2013: ECI & Foreign Ministry co-organize a seminar on The United Nations and International Law: Aspects of Peace and Security on 17 May 2013
- 29 Apr. 2013: ECI & Pugwash co-host a seminar on Iran Sanctions Regime on 6 June 2013
- 07 Mar. 2013: Website for the project Law and the Other in Post-Multicultural Europe, co-directed by ECI's Magdalena Kmak, launched
- 06 Feb. 2013: ECI, together with Ministry of Defence, organize a panel discussion on cyber security, 11 March 2013, in Finnish (invitation)
- 05 Feb. 2013: First speakers of the ECI Summer Seminar announced
- 15 Jan. 2013: Next week, on 22 Jan. 2013, ECI & the Ministry for Foreign Affairs co-organize a seminar with ICTY Prosecutor Serge Brammertz
- 28 Nov. 2012: ECI successfully hosted the ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda yesterday in a seminar in the Great Hall of the University Main Building
- 20 Nov. 2012: ECI and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs co-host a guest lecture by ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda on 27 Nov.
- 20 Nov. 2012: ECI researchers co-organize the Europe at the Edge of Pluralism Conference on 13-14 Jun. 2013
- 8 Nov. 2012: Live broadcast of Jarna Petman's discussion with Nobel Peace Prize Laureate President Ahtisaari and journalist/documentarist Elina Hirvonen (in Finnish)
- 6 Nov. 2012: Jan Klabbers the new Martti Ahtisaari Academy Professor focusing on ethics of global governance
- 18 Oct. 2012: New ECI research project “Intellectual History of International Law: Empire and Religion” website launched
Martti Koskenniemi: New Articles
- International Law and the Emergence of Mercantile Capitalism: Grotius to Smith (in The Roots of International Law. Les fondements du droit international. Liber Amicorum Peter Haggenmacher, eds. Dupuy & Chetail 2014)
- Law, Teleology and International Relations: An Essay in Counterdisciplinarity (International Relations 2012 26: 3)
- THE PUBLIC LAW OF EUROPE. Reflections on a French 18th century Debate (Published in: Helena Lindemann et al (eds), Erzählungen vom Konstitutionalismus (Baden-Baden, Nomos 2012), 43-73.)
- INTERNATIONAL LAW AND THE EMERGENCE OF MERCANTILE CAPITALISM Grotius to Smith (unpublished paper)
- - Histories of International law: Dealing with Eurocentrism, Zeitschrift des Max-Planck-Instituts für europäische Rechtsgeschichte, Rg 19/2011
- The mystery of legal obligation, International Theory (2011), 3:2, 319–325
Other News & Recent Publications:
- University of Helsinki news (in Finnish): Ihmisoikeudet terrorismin vastaisen sodan jaloissa
- ECI receives excellent results in the University of Helsinki international research evaluation - for more, see http://www.helsinki.fi/arviointi2010-2012/eng/
- Koskenniemi awarded Doctor Honoris Causa at Frankfurt Goethe University
- Koskenniemi again selected for the Academy Professor 2012-2016
- Magdalena Kmak: The Scope and Application of the Principle of Universal Jurisdiction
- University of Helsinki news (in Finnish): Uuskolonialistista rikosoikeutta?
- Koskenniemi: EMPIRE AND INTERNATIONAL LAW: THE REAL SPANISH CONTRIBUTION, University of Toronto Law Journal, Volume 61, Number 1 /2011
- Koskenniemi: What Use for Sovereignty Today? Asian Journal of International Law, 1 (2011), pp. 61–70
- Jan Klabbers: Autonomy, constitutionalism and virtue in international institutional law: forthcoming in Nigel White & Richard Collins (eds.), International Organisations and the Idea of Autonomy (Routledge 2011)
- Klabbers: Global Governance before the ICJ: Re-reading the WHA Opinion:13 Max Planck Yearbook of United Nations Law (2009), 1-28
‘Where have they all gone? Globalisation, Language Diversity and International Law’ ECI Guest Lecture by Fernand de Varennes, 13 Dec. 2013, from 3:15 pm until 5 pm, room P669
- Past Events