- Intellectual History of International Law: Empire and Religion
- Towards a Credible Ethics for Global Governance
- On "Glocal" Governance: on the Meanings and Consequences of the "Vernacularization" of Human Rights Concepts
- "Between the Times": Embattled Temporalities and Anti-Historicism in Interwar Europe
- Order and Contestation in Islamic International Law and International Relations
- Management of the Sacred: A Critical Inquiry
- ECI-PUIIL Collaboration
The Erik Castrén Institute of International Law and Human Rights (ECI) was established in 1998 within the Faculty of Law at the University of Helsinki. The institute was named after Erik Castrén (1904-1984), a former Professor of International Law at the University of Helsinki and a former member of the United Nations International Law Commission. The aim of the Institute is to promote research on public international law and human rights, from broad and often heterodox and trans-disciplinary perspectives.
- Visiting Senior Fellow Immi Tallgren recently co-organised an international workshop with Frédéric Mégret (Associate Professor at the Faculty of Law, McGill University and a McGill Dawson scholar) at the Erik Castrén Institute of International Law and Human Rights, University of Helsinki. This workshop, which took place on 7-8 December 2016, brought together a range of contributors on their forthcoming research project, 'The Dawn of a Discipline: International Criminal Justice and its Early Exponents'.
- Professor Martti Koskenniemi comments on the latest events in Turkey (only in Finnish).
- The Report "The Role of International Law in the Foreign Policy of the Russian Federation" by Professor Emeritus Lauri Hanikainnen and PhD Candidate Tero Lundstedt is now available.
- Työlainsäädännön uudistaminen, kansainväliset sitoumukset ja perustuslaki -tiedote tapahtumasta
- Webcast of Book launch: Revisiting the Origins of Human Rights
- Huippuasiantuntijat puhumassa kemiallisesta aseista
- New publication out now: Revisiting the Origins of Human Rights, edited by Pamela Slotte and Miia Halme-Tuomisaari!
- Keynote Lecture from the ESIL meeting at Oslo: A Turn to the Rule of Law in International Politics: The Role of International Judiciary. Moderated by Jutta Brunnée (University of Toronto) with Judge James Crawford (International Court of Justice)
and Martti Koskenniemi (University of Helsinki) as speakers.
- Former President of Finland, Tarja Halonen, was interviewed by children during the UN at 70 event.
- UN at 70 will be broadcasted online and later archived here.
- 28 May 2015: Professor Martti Koskenniemi receives the honorary LL.D. from McGill, watch the ceremeny here.
- 30 April 2015: Professor Martti Koskenniemi to receive a honorary LL.D. from McGill Centre for Human Rights and Legal Pluralism.
Alexis Galán: Legitimacy and International Investment Arbitration, January 27
Seminar: “International Law in a Dark Time” 22-23 May 2017
On-line lectures and talks
Anti-terrorism, its problem areas and consequence, full seminar now available on-line