- Intellectual History of International Law: Empire and Religion
- Towards a Credible Ethics for Global Governance
- On "Glocal" Governance: on the Meanings and Consequences of the "Vernacularization" of Human Rights Concepts
The Erik Castrén Institute of International Law and Human Rights (ECI) was established in 1998 within the Faculty of Law at the University of Helsinki as a centre for research and study. The Erik Castrén Institute of International Law and Human Rights was named after Professor Erik Castrén.
The aim of the Institute is to promote research on human rights and new approaches to public international law.
- 7 Apr. 2014: Professor Martti Koskenniemi appointed as Professorial Fellow at Melbourne Law School
- 1 April 2014: Apply now for Helsinki Summer Seminar on International Law. Topic of the 27th seminar is International Investment Law: Between Public and Private.
- 21 Feb 2014: New website launched for research project Towards a Credible Ethics for Global Governance
- 31 Jan. 2014: the ECI is delighted to welcome Ms. Mari Taskinen back as the ECI Coordinator and at the same time wish good luck to Lauri Uusi-Hakala who has moved to a new position at the Faculty of Theology
- 15 Nov. 2013: The 2nd Erik Castrén Lecture on International Law, the Humanization of the Syrian Question: A Critique of International Legal / Institutional Responses, by Hani Sayed, attracted over 70 participants (Summary in Finnish)
- 15 Nov. 2013: Mónica García-Salmones Rovira's research has been granted the award of Best Academic Dissertation in Law in 2012 by the Finnish Lawyers’ Association
- 1 Oct. 2013: Martti Koskenniemi listed among the "Higly Cited" University of Helsinki researchers
Rule and Rules, ECI brown bag seminar by Professor Nicholas Onuf, 24 April 2014 at 12.15-14, room P667, Porthania
Discussion on the future of the European area of justice, rule of law and fundamental rights, Monday 28 April 2014 at 14.15 - 16.15, Great Hall, main building
Why is Killing in War (Not) Murder? Combatant’s Privilege in International and Domestic Law , ECI brown bag seminar by Dr Rain Liivoja, 30 April 2014 at 12.15-14, room P667, Porthania
Rights, self-determination, culture - and what they mean for 'indigeneity', ECI brown bag seminar by Professor Isabelle Schulte-Tenckhoff, 28 May 2014 at 10.15-12, room P667, Porthania