- About the Symposium
- Practical Information
- List of participants' emails (pdf)
Fabianinkatu 24 (P.O. Box 4)
00014 University of Helsinki
Tel. +358 (0) 9 191 24466
Fax +358 (0) 9 191 24509
About the Symposium
Date: 15–17 May 2013
Venue: Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies, Fabianinkatu 24
In contemporary cities, the effects of advanced telecommunications and commodified media exist everywhere around us. In both eye-catching and oblique ways, mass and personalised media forms reshape our spatial practices and perceptions of specific milieus and the city as a whole. Throughout the interdisciplinary symposium, the spectacular, ordinary and contested aspects of the media city will be brainstormed through questions such as:
- What is the relationship of materiality of media and symbolic media representations in the construction of densely digitalised urban milieus?
- To what extent and how is media-saturation steering people's urban activities towards automated and un-reflected modes?
- Do the "urban media affordances" open room for creative place-making practices, new amalgamations of technology and corporeality, and even chances for decoding and political resistance?
- In which ways do different forms of art and popular culture (cinema, literature, theatre, digital games etc.) articulate and intervene in the media city?
- What ethical and political issues lurk behind the pecuniary motifs of the ongoing mediatisation of space?
Keynote speakers include:
Anne Cronin, Lancaster University, UK
Scott McQuire, Melbourne University, Australia
Shannon Mattern, The New School, USA .
The organising committee
Jani Vuolteenaho & Outi Hakola, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
Seija Ridell & Sami Kolamo, University of Tampere.
Contacts / conference secretary:
Kirsi L. Reyes-Anastacio / Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies