Department of Biosciences
P.O. Box 65
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki
Street address: Biocenter 3, Viikinkaari 1, 5th floor
Fax: +358-9-191 57694
Most e-mail addresses: email@example.com
Welcome to the Ecological Genetics Research Unit!
Our research is focused on understanding the mechanisms and process of animal adaptation - or lack of it thereof - to local and changing environmental conditions. Methods employed in our research include molecular, population and quantitative genetic tools, as well as laboratory and field experiments. Also more theoretical and methodological approaches, such as development of statistical tools and approaches for analyzing inheritance and population differentiation in complex quantitative traits belong to our agenda. The main model organisms are vertebrates, including fishes, birds and amphibians, but some work is also done with reptiles and mammals.
Our research is chiefly fundamental science, but some of the projects have strong applied dimensions. These include studies on conservation genetics, human induced evolution due to harvesting and climate change, as well as studies on the effects of various environmental stressors on individuals, populations and species.
- Baocheng Guo got a tenure-track position at Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing (31.03.2016).
- Baocheng Guo was nominated as Docent of Evolutionary Biology at the University of Helsinki (24.03.2016) .
- Sergey Morozov received Alfred Kordelin Foundation grant (26.10.2015).
- Elisavet (Elli) Tolli from the University of Ioannina (Greece) started as an Erasmus trainee (1.9.2015).
- Post-doc position in Ecological Genetics
(2 years), apply at latest 31 July 2015 by 15.45 local Helsinki time.
- Post-doc position in Evolutionary Genomics (1 year), the deadline for applications is August 1 2015.
- Anastasiia Iurtceva from University of St. Petersburg will visit EGRU (16.9.-30.9.2015).
- Sergey Morozov recieved grant from Oskar Öflunds Foundation grant (27.5.2015)
- Jacquelin DeFaveri received 3-year Academy postdoctoral grant (11.5.2015)
- Five EGRU memebers listed among Molecular Ecology's 300 best reviewers 2015 (7.4.2015)
- Takahito Shikano received JSPS research exchange grant for three years (5.2.2015)
- Sajid's PLoS One paper covered by Science News (5.2.2015)
- Sergey Morozov recieved grant from Otto Malmi foundation (1.7.2014)
- JM's interview in Helsingin Sanomat (24.6.2014)
- Study biology
- Older News