P.O. Box 56 (Viikinkaari 9)
00014 University of Helsinki
fax +358-(0)9-191 57561
Faculty office open
International affairs, undergraduate studies and admission, Master's degree programmes:
bio-sci (at) helsinki.fi
PhD studies and admission:
biojatko-neuvonta (at) helsinki.fi
bio-diploma (at) helsinki.fi
bio-hallinto (at) helsinki.fi
The doctoral school system aims to improve the quality of research and researcher training. A goal is to provide young Master’s degree holders planning to pursue a career in research with an opportunity to make interesting as well as economically encouraging careers as professional researchers.
In the Faculty of Biological and Environmental Sciences about one third of Master’s degree holders continue their studies towards a doctoral degree. Doctoral schools and programmes operating within the Faculty offer significant support for students of the Faculty in their doctoral studies.
Information on how to apply for a doctoral school or programme position and about courses organized by them is available on the website of the relevant doctoral school or programme.
Doctoral (graduate) schools and doctoral programmes
The Faculty coordinates the following doctoral schools and programmes:
- Helsinki Graduate Program in Biotechnology and Molecular Biology, GPBM
- Finnish Doctoral Program in Plant Science, FDPPS
- Finnish School in Wildlife Biology, Conservation and Management, LUOVA
- The Finnish Graduate School of Neuroscience, FGSN
- Viikki Doctoral Programme in Molecular Biosciences, VGSB
The Faculty also has cooperation with the following doctoral schools and programmes:
- Arctic Doctoral Programme, ARKTIS
- Biological Interactions Graduate School
- Doctoral Program in Integrated Catchment and Water Resources Management, VALUE
- Finnish Doctoral Programme in Computational Sciences, FICS
- Population Genetics Graduate School, (PopGenSchool)
- National Doctoral Programme in Informational and Structural Biology, ISB
- Viikki School of Environmental Sciences
- Finnish Doctoral Programme in Environmental Science and Technology, EnSTe
Finnish Graduate School Network in Life Sciences (FinBioNet) is a national network of graduate schools in biosciences and health sciences.
Read also about other doctoral shcools: