Moving to Finland

There is a lot of useful information available on the net for those who are planning to move to Finland and Helsinki as a doctoral student.

Some good places to start browsing in English:

General information on Finland

General information for international doctoral students

The three cities in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area

Your home town offers many useful services during your studies:  

Finnish/Swedish language studies

You are able to take your doctoral degree in English. However, if you are going to stay in Finland for, at least, 4-5 years, it might be useful to start learning the local languages when you arrive in the country. 


The University cannot provide any housing itself but there is a separate housing company for the students. It has pages in English and it is possible to leave an online application.  


If you come from an non-EU (or actually a non-EEA or Switzerland) country, you have to apply for a residence permit before your arrival. If you come from a EU country, you can apply for the permit after your arrival in Finland.

  • – Immigration authorities; residence permits etc.
  •  – Police; extension of residence permits etc.

Social security and health insurance

If you come from a non-EU country you are not necessarily covered by national social security or health care benefits. Make sure that you know your situation before arrival. You are strongly advised to purchase good medical and accident insurance for you before your arrival in University of Helsinki and Finland in general.  

Student organizations

Student organizations are working for you – get to know them, and become active! HYY – Student union – is an official and important part of the university administration.