- Examination of Dissertation manuscripts and Licentiate theses
- Permission for a Public Defense
- Distribution of the dissertation
- Dissertation completion grant
- Guidelines for the pre-examiners
- Guidelines for the public examination
- Grading scale for Doctoral dissertations
Siltavuorenpenger 5 A
P.O. Box 9
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki Finland
Email kaytt-jatko [at] helsinki
Moving to Finland
There is a lot of useful information available on the net for those who are planning to move to Finland and Helsinki as a doctoral student.
Some good places to start browsing in English:
General information on Finland
General information for international doctoral students
- www.cimo.fi – Centre for International Mobility
- www.hera.fi – Helsinki Education and Research Area
- www.helsinki.fi/admissions – Information pages of the university, see specially “Orientation handbook”
The three cities in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area
Your home town offers many useful services during your studies:
- www.hel.fi – City of Helsinki
- www.espoo.fi – City of Espoo
- www.vantaa.fi – City of Vantaa
- www.caisa.fi – International Cultural Center in Helsinki
- www.infopankki.fi – Information for immigrants in the metropolitan area, contains a lot of useful information. Recommended!
- www.mielenterveysseura.fi – Crises services for immigrants in Finland
Finnish/Swedish language studies
You are able to take your doctoral degree in English. However, if you are going to stay in Finland for, at least, 4-5 years, it might be useful to start learning the local languages when you arrive in the country.
- www.helsinki.fi/kksc – University Language Centre
- www.hel.fi – Adult Education Center of City of Helsinki
The University cannot provide any housing itself but there is a separate housing company for the students. It has pages in English and it is possible to leave an online application.
- www.hoas.fi – Student Housing Company in Helsinki
If you come from an non-EU (or actually a non-EEA or Switzerland) country, you have to apply for a residence permit before your arrival. If you come from a EU country, you can apply for the permit after your arrival in Finland.
- www.migri.fi – Immigration authorities; residence permits etc.
- www.poliisi.fi – Police; extension of residence permits etc.
Social security and health insurance
If you come from a non-EU country you are not necessarily covered by national social security or health care benefits. Make sure that you know your situation before arrival. You are strongly advised to purchase good medical and accident insurance for you before your arrival in University of Helsinki and Finland in general.
Student organizations are working for you – get to know them, and become active! HYY – Student union – is an official and important part of the university administration.
- www.hyy.fi – Helsinki University Student Union
- www.tsemppi.com – Organization for international degree students