- Visiting Fellows 2017-2018 selected
- 17th Aleksanteri Conference "Russia's Choices for 2030". Deadline for proposals 15 May
- Interview: The European Union, Russia and international challenges
- Aleksanteri Insight 1/2017: Daria Gritsenko: A local perspective on energy development in the high north
- Kone Foundation's grants awarded
- Report: After 'hybrid warfare', what next? – Understanding and responding to contemporary Russia
- Report: Russian security policy – research in Finland and development trends in Russia
P.O.Box 42 (Unioninkatu 33)
FI-00014 University of Helsinki
Telephone: +358 (0) 2941 23544
aleksanteri [at] helsinki.fi
firstname.lastname [at] helsinki.fi
News and Events in 2012
Guest lecture 14th May
Dr. Nataša Gregorič Bon, Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts, delivers a lecture on
Material journeys of women migrants from Southern Albania
In the past decade numerous migration studies explored the phenomenon of mass migrations in Albania. Only a few of them have focused on the role of women in these processes. The guest lecture will discuss their role and meaning through the material flows between women migrants from Dhërmi/Drimades and their husbands who stay behind in their natal village in Southern Albania. Material flows are not only emblems but also agents of migrant worlds as they contribute to the formation of transnational marriages that are necessary for the construction of material flows (cf. Dalakoglou 2010). Material flows form a part of reciprocal relations as they preserve and reconstruct marriage and social relationships in general. They act as insurance policies and reassure dwelling and dynamic presence of absent women migrants. The ethnographic material presented in this lecture is based on a long-term anthropological research carried out in Dhërmi/Drimades between 2004 and 2011.
The lecture is followed by a discussion.
Date: Monday, 14 May 2012, at 16.00-17.30.
Place: Aleksanteri Institute (Unioninkatu 33, 2nd floor), Meeting Room.
Contact person: Markus Kujawa (markus.kujawa [at] helsinki.fi, tel. 09 191 40959)
The event is open for everyone interested. Due to limited number of seats,
we kindly ask you to fill in the registration form to confirm your participation.
Organiser: Aleksanteri Institute