- Aleksanteri Visiting Fellowships 2015-2016 - CALL OPEN until 20 February 2015
- Andrey Starodubtsev awarded in the competition of the best Russian publication in political science in 2014
- Katalin Miklóssy's team shortlisted in Helsinki Challenge
- Report Russia as a Neighbour published
- Central Asia Visiting Fellows 2015 selected
- Aleksanteri News 4/2014 - Conference issue
- Jukka Pietiläinen discusses freedom of media in Central Asia in Aleksanteri Insight 6/2014
- Get the news in your inbox
P.O.Box 42 (Unioninkatu 33)
FI-00014 University of Helsinki
office +358 50 3565 802,
fax +358 2941 23620
aleksanteri [at] helsinki.fi
firstname.lastname [at] helsinki.fi
News and Events in 2012
Guest lecture 14th May
Dr. Nataša Gregorič Bon, Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts, delivers a lecture on
Material journeys of women migrants from Southern Albania
In the past decade numerous migration studies explored the phenomenon of mass migrations in Albania. Only a few of them have focused on the role of women in these processes. The guest lecture will discuss their role and meaning through the material flows between women migrants from Dhërmi/Drimades and their husbands who stay behind in their natal village in Southern Albania. Material flows are not only emblems but also agents of migrant worlds as they contribute to the formation of transnational marriages that are necessary for the construction of material flows (cf. Dalakoglou 2010). Material flows form a part of reciprocal relations as they preserve and reconstruct marriage and social relationships in general. They act as insurance policies and reassure dwelling and dynamic presence of absent women migrants. The ethnographic material presented in this lecture is based on a long-term anthropological research carried out in Dhërmi/Drimades between 2004 and 2011.
The lecture is followed by a discussion.
Date: Monday, 14 May 2012, at 16.00-17.30.
Place: Aleksanteri Institute (Unioninkatu 33, 2nd floor), Meeting Room.
Contact person: Markus Kujawa (markus.kujawa [at] helsinki.fi, tel. 09 191 40959)
The event is open for everyone interested. Due to limited number of seats,
we kindly ask you to fill in the registration form to confirm your participation.
Organiser: Aleksanteri Institute