12.3.2014 at 14:15
Guest lecture by Elizabeth Natalle: "French Policy on the Veil: A Populist Signification of Gendered Othering"
17.3.2014 at 13:15
Seminar:"Development of the Russian Arctic Areas”
Lecture series "Social Justice, Families and Politics in Russia Today" by Mikhail Chernysh
27.3.2014 at 14:15
Visiting Fellows Research Seminar with Julia Gerlach,
"Managing Risk and Crisis in Russia: "Kursk", "Beslan" and the Narrative of Stability"
- "Post-Socialist Societies and Cultures" in Helsinki Summer School 2014
- Aleksanteri Conference 2014, Restructuring State and Society in Russia: CfP open until 15.5.
- Apply now for the Master's School!
- "Will the Olympic Games save Putin's authority?" asks Hanna Smith in Aleksanteri Insight 1/2014
- Aleksanteri News 1/2014
- Get the news in your inbox
- Master's School
- Graduate School
- Finnish Co-operation
- International Network
- Aleksanteri mailing list
P.O.Box 42 (Unioninkatu 33)
FI-00014 University of Helsinki
office +358 9 191 24175
fax +358 9 191 23615
aleksanteri [at] helsinki.fi
firstname.lastname [at] helsinki.fi
Welcome to the Aleksanteri Institute!
The Aleksanteri Institute functions as a national centre of research, study and expertise pertaining to Russia and Eastern Europe, particularly in the social sciences and humanities. The Institute promotes cooperation and interaction between the academic world, public administration, business life and civil society, both in Finland and abroad.
Visiting Scholars programme received 176 applications
The call for Aleksanteri Visiting Fellowships for the academic year 2014–2015 was open until 24 February 2014. Altogether, a record number of 176 applications were received from 40 countries; the top three countries were Russia, USA and UK.
The selection of the fellows for the academic year 2014–2015 will be concluded in April 2014. Stays of 1–3 months at the Aleksanteri Institute will be granted.
Starting from the academic year 2008–2009, the Visiting Scholars Programme has invited over 80 Visiting Fellows working on various fields and themes within social sciences and humanities, and representing 22 countries from Europe through North America to China.
Post-Socialist Societies and Cultures
The Aleksanteri Institute offers an intensive, interactive course entitled Post-Socialist Societies and Cultures as part of the Helsinki Summer School -programme. Read more about the course and how to apply at the Helsinki Summer School site.
New Volume on Russian Energy and Security
Susanne Oxenstierna and Veli-Pekka Tynkkynen have edited a volume that discusses the changing challenges in Russia’s energy sector and the resulting security implications.
Russian Energy and Security up to 2030 is published by Routledge in 2013, in Routledge Contemporary Russia and Eastern Europe Series.
|The presentations at the book launch seminar (13.2.2014) can now be found at the seminar page.|
Aleksanteri Insight 1/2014 - Will the Olympic Games save Putin's authority?
The Olympic Games in Sochi will show whether Putin is a leader of a significant great power or simply a weak tsar, writes Hanna Smith, a researcher at the Aleksanteri Institute in the first issue of the year of the Aleksanteri Insight.
Aleksanteri Conference 2014 - Call for Papers
The Aleksanteri Institute and the Finnish Centre of Excellence in Russian Studies, "Choices of Russian Modernisation" will hold the 14th Annual International Aleksanteri Conference on 22-24 October 2014 in Helsinki, Finland.
The conference, entitled Restructuring State and Society in Russia aims to examine the intersections of and interrelationships between state and society in Russia and other post-Soviet and post-Communist countries in diverse theoretical and comparative perspectives - with the focus on critical issues of political, economic, and societal developments and in-between macro and micro levels of analysis.
The call for the panels and papers for the conference is now open at: /www.helsinki.fi/aleksanteri/conference2014/.
Aleksanteri News 1/2014
Aleksanteri News 1/2014introduces to you several young researchers, such as human rights scholar Freek van der Vet (p. 2).
The first issue of the year also declares open the Call for Papers for the 14th Annual Aleksanteri Conference Restructuring State and Society in Russia and provides information on several open calls and upcoming events.
Central Asia Fellows chosen for the spring term 2014
The call for applications for the Central Asia Fellowships at the Aleksanteri Institute for spring 2014 was open until 20 November 2013. Two visiting scholars were selected: Natalie Koch from Syracuse University, USA (1 month) and Slavomir Horák from Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic (2 months).
We wish to sincerely thank all those who were interested in coming to the University of Helsinki and to the Aleksanteri Institute!
This was the first of the two calls for Central Asia Fellowships at the Aleksanteri Institute; a subsequent call will be open in October 2014 for stays in 2015.
Centre of Excellence Choices of Russian Modernisation
- "Changes of Administrative Accountability in Russian Transitions", Heusala, A-L. In: Review of Central and East European Law, 2013, Vol. 38, Issue 3-4.
- Dialectics of the Ideal: Evald Ilyenkov and Creative Soviet Marxism. Levant, A. & Oittinen, V. (eds). Brill, 2013, 221 p., ISBN 9789004230972.
- "Governing shipping externalities: Baltic ports in the process of SOx emission reduction". Gritsenko, D. & Yliskylä-Peuralahti, J. In: Maritime Studies, 2013, Vol. 12, Nr. 10.
- "Politicizing Energy Security – Russia and the European Union", Smith, H. In: Russian Energy and Security up to 2030 by Oxenstierna, S. & Tynkkynen, V-P. (eds). Routledge, 2013, ISBN 978-0-415-63964-4.
- "Russian Bioenergy and the EU's Renewable Energy Goals: Perspectives of Security". Tynkkynen, V-P. In: Russian Energy and Security up to 2030 by Oxenstierna, S. & Tynkkynen, V-P. (eds). Routledge, 2013, ISBN 978-0-415-63964-4.