23.4.2015 at 12:15-16:00
Seminar RAGE: Hate Speech and Populist Othering
29.4.2015 at 14:00-16:00
President of Integrum Worldwide Alexander Smolyansky's lecture on Russian Ukrainian Conflict
7.5.2015 at 14:15
Visiting Fellows Research Seminar
Christine Engel: The Lure of Eurasianism and its Traces in Recent Russian Films
Culture and Russian Society
- Visiting Fellows for 2015-2016 chosen
- Aleksanteri Insight 2/2015: The unclear history of Ukrainian statehood, by Jeremy Smith
- Aleksanteri Conference 2015: Culture and Russian Society - CfP open until 17 May
- Aleksanteri News 1/2015
- Katalin Miklóssy's team shortlisted in Helsinki Challenge
- Get the news in your inbox
- Master's School
- Graduate School
- Finnish Co-operation
- International Network
- Aleksanteri mailing list
P.O.Box 42 (Unioninkatu 33)
FI-00014 University of Helsinki
office +358 50 3565 802,
fax +358 2941 23620
aleksanteri [at] helsinki.fi
firstname.lastname [at] helsinki.fi
Welcome to the Aleksanteri Institute!
The Aleksanteri Institute functions as a national centre of research, study and expertise pertaining to Russia and Eastern Europe, particularly in the social sciences and humanities. The Institute promotes cooperation and interaction between the academic world, public administration, business life and civil society, both in Finland and abroad.
Fifteen Aleksanteri Visiting Fellows for 2015-2016
Aleksanteri Visiting Fellows for the academic year 2015–2016 have been selected. Altogether 177 applications were received by the deadline of February 20th. While the selection of proposals was based on academic excellence, it also strove to take into account a balance between the nominated Visiting Fellows’ projects and the various research foci and regions covered by the Aleksanteri Institute.
Visiting Fellows for the academic year 2015-2016 are:
- Closson Stacy
- Cox Terry
- Denisova-Schmidt Elena
- Dimitrov Martin
- Ghodsee Kristen
- Leichtova Magdalena
- March Luke
- Navumau Vasil
- Obradovic-Wochnik Jelena
- Pinsky Anatoly
- Plets Gertjan
- Reeves Madeleine
- Sokhibov Akmal
- Steila Daniela
- Tarasenko Anna
We wish to sincerely thank all those who were interested in coming to the Aleksanteri Institute.
Aleksanteri Insight 2/2015: History of Ukrainian statehood
The history of Ukrainian statehood has always been closely interlinked with Russian statehood, contributing to Russia's attitude to Ukraine, writes Jeremy Smith in issue 2/2015 of Aleksanteri Insight.
South Caucasus beyond Borders
The South Caucasus beyond Borders, Boundaries and Division Lines: Conflicts, Cooperation and Development is the final publication of the research project with the same name that was part of the security cluster of the Wider Europe Initiative.
The report was edited by researcher Mikko Palonkorpi.
Read more and order the book!
New in Aleksanteri Cold War Series
ISBN 978-951-51-0019-1, 214 p.
Read more and order the book!
Aleksanteri Conference 2015: Culture and Russian Society
The 15th Aleksanteri Conference Culture and Russian Society will take place in Helsinki from Oct 21 to 23, 2015.
The conference invites proposals for panels and papers which focus on the cultural challenges and intellectual choices Russia and its diverse population face today. We welcome scholars from all fields in humanities, social and political sciences to contribute to the investigation of the role of cultural analysis in enriching our understanding of Russia’s recent developments.
Keynote speakers of the conference are Catriona Kelly, Vlad Strukov, Vera Tolz, Elena Vartanova, Michael Gorham and Evert van der Zweerde.
The deadline for proposals is 17 May 2015.
Detailed instructions and links to electronic submission forms are available at www.helsinki.fi/aleksanteri/conference2015.
Centre of Excellence Choices of Russian Modernisation
- The South Caucasus beyond Borders, Boundaries and Division Lines: Conflicts, Cooperation and Development, Palonkorpi, M. (ed.), 2015.
- "Russia as a great power: Status inconsistency and the two Chechen wars", Smith, H. In: Communist and Post-Communist Studies, 2014, Vol. 47, Issue 3-4, pp. 355-363.
- "The Rise and Decline of Electoral Authoritarianism in Russia", Gel'man, V. In: Demokratizatsiya, 2014, Vol. 22, Issue 4, pp. 503-522.
- "Paradoxes of Agency: Democracy and Welfare in Russia", Kulmala, M., Kainu, M., Nikula, J. & Kivinen, M. In: Demokratizatsiya, 2014, Vol. 22, Issue 4, pp. 523-552
- "Old Title, New Traditions: Negotiating Ideals of Femininity in Krest'ianka Magazine", Ratilainen, S. In: Feminist Media Studies, 2014, Vol. 15, Issue 1, pp. 92-112..
- Платить нельзя проигрывать: Региональная политика и федерализм в современной России by Starodubtsev, A. European University at St. Petersburg Press, 2014.