- Organisation chart
- The university collegium
- The Board
- The Rector
- Central administration
- Director of Administration
- Independent institutes
- Networks, campus organisations and other units
- The UH Group
You can use University of Helsinki knowledge databases to find information on research made at the university.
The Rector manages the University activities and is responsible for the profitable, cost-effective, and efficient running of the University's duties.
The Rector's tasks include:
- leading the university's operations and deciding on such university-related matters which have not been stipulated or specified to be carried out by another body
- being responsible for the profitable, cost-effective, and efficient running of the university's duties
- ensuring that the university's accounting conforms to law and that asset management has been organised in a reliable manner
- being responsible for the preparation and presentation of matters to be discussed by the Board
- being responsible for the implementation of Board decisions, unless otherwise stipulated in the University Statutes; and
- deciding on employing and discharging university staff, to the extent to which the Rector has not transferred this task to other bodies of the university.
The Rector represents the University both in matters pertaining to his/her duties pursuant to the Universities Act and in other matters pertaining to the University. He/she belongs to the university's group management, together with the board.
The Rector has the right to participate in the meetings of all bodies, and the right to speak.
The Board elects the Rector for a term of office of five years, at most. Thomas Wilhelmsson, Professor of Civil and Commercial Law, is the Rector of the University of Helsinki in the five-year term of office starting 1 January 2010.
Contact informationRector of the University of Helsinki
Tel. +358 9 191 22211
P.O. Box 33 (Yliopiston-
FI-00014 UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI
Fax: +358 9 191 23008
Tel. +358 9 191 22210