Besides faculties, the University of Helsinki has independent institutes which take care of such tasks supporting the university's objectives, where centralising resources in a single unit is appropriate with regard to the operations.
The majority of the independent institutes are research-oriented units, and the premium-quality research conducted by them also benefits the education and research activities of the faculties. Some of them are shared with other universities.
The independent institutes are headed by a director, supported by an executive committee.
- Aleksanteri Institute - Finnish Centre for Russian and East European Studies
- Center for Information Technology (IT Center)
- Center for Properties and Facilities (in Finnish)
- Finnish Museum of Natural History
- Helsinki Center of Economic Research (HECER)
- Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
- Helsinki Institute for Information Technology
- Helsinki Institute of Physics (HIP)
- Helsinki University Library
- Institute of Biotechnology
- Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland (FIMM)
- IPR University Center
- Language Centre
- The National Library of Finland
- Viikki Laboratory Animal Centre
- Neuroscience Center
- Open University
- Palmenia Centre for Continuing Education
- University Sports Services