For providing research and teaching, the university is divided into faculties and departments. The faculties award degrees to the students.
The University of Helsinki has eleven faculties:
- Faculty of Theology
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Biological and Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Behavioural Sciences
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Faculties are managed by deans. The faculty council is a multi-member administrative body responsible for developing the activities of the faculty as a whole, under the supervision of the dean.A faculty can comprise various departments, independent institutes, and departments common to the faculties at the discretion of the University Board.