Education and Teaching
Guides in Education
- Biz/ed is a business and economics information gateway containing company facts, data, listings, contacts, etc. for students, teachers and lecturers to use.
- Tutor 2U Economics is a web based resource for students and teachers of Economics in the United Kingdom. It includes study resources, revision guides, relevant links, an updated dataroom and a discussion forum. The site also includes online presentations and weekly analysis/ briefings for students during the academic year.
- The goal of AmosWeb is to be the premiere Internet site for instructional economic information. The site includes the GLOSSarama (a database of economic terms and concepts).
- The purpose of EcEd Webb - the Economic Education Website is to provide support for economic education in all forms and at all levels: teaching resources for economics teachers from the K-12 level to the college/university level, plus links to particularly useful web sites for economics information and data for teachers and students.
Collections in Education
Institutions in Education
- Economics Departments with Ph.D. Programs in American and Canadian Universities is a list based on "Peterson's Guide to Graduate Education".
- The National Council on Economic Education (NCEE), (USA) is a nationwide network that leads in promoting economic literacy with students and their teachers. NCEE's mission is to help students develop the real-life skills they need to succeed: to be able to think and choose responsibly as consumers, savers, investors, citizens, members of the workforce, and effective participants in a global economy.
Publications in Education
- RePEc (Research Papers in Economics) is a collaborative effort to enhance the dissemination of research in economics. The heart of the project is a decentralized database of working papers, journal articles and software components. All RePEc material is freely available.
- NEP in Education is a part of an announcement service which filters information on new releases of working papers into edited reports. These reports are generated by subject-specific editors and are circulated via email. The goal of the NEP project and the associated announcement lists is to provide subscribers with up-to-date information on new additions to the research literature.
- An index of related Working Paper information is found via ideasA2
- EconWPA stores Electronic Working Papers in General Economics
- Issues in Political Economy is committed to supporting and encouraging quality undergraduate research in all areas of economics. IPE is edited and refereed entirely by students, with oversight from faculty at Mary Washington College and Elon University.
- The University Avenue Undergraduate Journal of Economics is a refereed electronic journal run by undergraduate students from Illinois State University and Illinois Wesleyan University. All articles published within this journal have been written by Undergraduate Economics students. The submitted articles are reviewed by peer evaluators.
- Student Electronic Library contains papers done by French students in political science (from Paris Institut d'Etudes Politiques) and categorized by themes. Several papers are in English
Vous trouverez sur la Bibelec des dizaines de travaux produits par des étudiants en sciences politiques. Ces publications sont gratuites et librement accessibles, elles peuvent être reproduites mais sont réservées à l'usage individuel et non-commercial des visiteurs.
Communication in Education
Computing and Education
For related information see WebEc's sections Mathematical and Quantitative Methods, Economics and Computing and Economics Data too.
Courses in Economics
- HyperMetrics: HyperText Notes in Econometrics (Lecture notes written for Introductory Econometrics at Queen's University at Kingston.)
- Business Statistics: Revealing Facts From Figures (course material in statistics appreciation) includes general topics in business statistics, links among common statistical tables and relationship among commonly occurring distributions. Annotated review of statistical tools on the internet and other web sites of interest.
- Dynaamisten menetelmien kurssi 1 (In Finnish). Dynaamisten menetelmien kurssi 1 kuuluu kansantaloustieteen perusopintoihin ja se on tarkoitus suorittaa toisena tai kolmantena opiskeluvuotena. Kurssilla opetettava asia on tärkeä pohja tuleville syventäville opinnoille.
- Problems in Microeconomics is an interactive, graphical, Excel-based problem sets for students in principles and intermediate microeconomics. The site is maintained by Byron W. Brown. Parameters are randomized to give each student a different version, and all answers are instantly graded. Also a useful lecture display tool. The printed instructions are in the form of pdf files, and require Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.0 as a helper to your web browser. You will need Excel 5.0 or higher running on your computer to use the spreadsheets.
- Price Theory: An Intermediate Text by David D. Friedman
- A variety of introductory materials, mainly in macro and international economics by Colin Danby. Some material is interactive, including a graphical IS-LM tutorial
- Gazillionaire is a business simulation where the player runs a trading company in outer space. In Gazillionaire, the player must make decisions about supply, demand, profit margins, overhead, account balances etc. Because of Gazillionaire's built-in, "award-winning" tutorial with adjustable complexity levels, it appeals to a broad age group and has been used in a wide variety of courses.
- Walras Law and macroeconomic modelling. The pages on Walras Law and its implications for macroeconomics are aimed at first or second year undergraduates. They include biographical material on Walras and Pareto; an intuitive expantion for Walras law, a formal demonstartion using summation notation; a discussion of the implications of walras law for macro modelling.
- Fairmodel, Macroeconomic forecasting model of the US economy, can be used to forecast the economy, do policy analysis, and examine historical episodes. This site brings the power of large scale macroeconometric analysis to anyone with access to the internet. It is a resource for business forecasters, government policy analysts, macroeconomic researchers, teachers, and students. The modl works as a client/server application over the web. Table and graph on line and/or download all or part of the data from 1952:1 through 2003:4: historical data, forecast data, and data you may have created.
- An introduction to US monetary policy as it is currently conducted by answering a series of questions.
- Dr Econ specializes in shedding light on topical and challenging economic questions, and has stockpiled quite a few responses over the years, and you can check to see if he has already answered your question. "Ask Dr. Econ" has a new more conversational interface that also helps questioners find already existing answers.
- Kauppa- ja taloustieteellisten oppimateriaalien kehittamishanke (5 introductory courses in Finnish).
Business and Finance
- Human Society and the Global Economy is an online textbook in progress for a survey course in economics
- The International Economics Study Center is designed for students, teachers, government officials and other professionals interested in international economic theory and policy issues. The site contains an international trade textbook, problem sets, links to current trade news stories and assorted other features.
- ThinkQuest is an educational web page designed to teach young and old alike, what the stock market is, and how it can work for them. It includes tutorials on the stock market.
- Chance is a quantitative literacy course. The goal of Chance is to make students more informed, critical readers of current news stories that use probability and statistics.
- Great Economists and Their Times traces the development of the major schools of economic thought through the work of ten important economists. These economists were the leading exponents of their schools, and their ideas represent the major contributions to economic thought made by each school. A chronicle of historical events recounts the politics, social environment and intellectual climate of each decade in which the famous economists lived.
Other Education Information
- EdWeb's (by Andy Carvin). The purpose of this hyperbook is to explore the worlds of educational reform and information technology. Hunt down on-line educational resources around the world, learn about trends in education policy and information infrastructure development, examine success stories of computers in the classroom, and more.
- Education World by American Fidelity Assurance Company. A searchable database is available.
- Globewide Network Academy is a non-profit corporation affiliated with the Usenet University project. Its long-term goal is to create an fully accredited online university. Distance education related resources and vendors are listed in their distance learning resource guide.